Affiliations and partnerships
Australian Electoral Commission
Partnership with the Australian Electoral Commission
Section 14 of the Northern Territory (Self Government) Act 1978 provides for the Northern Territory electoral roll to be managed in accordance with the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918. The electoral roll is maintained by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) and provided to the Northern Territory Electoral Commission on request and at election time in accordance with the joint roll arrangement (JRA) between the administrator and the governor-general.
The JRA provides for a single enrolment form for Territory and Commonwealth purposes. The AEC is responsible for processing enrolments, the review of the electoral roll and the removal from the roll by objection of those electors who have left their enrolled address. Enrolment stimulation and roll review activities are undertaken by both agencies in accordance with provisions of the JRA.
In accordance with the JRA, roll data is extracted from the AEC roll management system to meet a range of Northern Territory Electoral Commission requirements during the year.
These extracts include:
- electoral rolls for Northern Territory Legislative Assembly and local government elections and by-elections
- jury rolls
- monthly updates of roll changes supplied to members of the Legislative Assembly and registered political parties
- the supply of roll data to approved entities for health screening programs
- data extracts for redistribution committees and council representation reviews.
A close working relationship is required with the Northern Territory office of the AEC in order to effect productive enrolment and public awareness activities in the Territory. Senior officers of both commissions meet regularly to plan and report on electoral program delivery.
Electoral Council of Australia and New Zealand (ECANZ)
Affiliation with ECANZ
The Electoral Council of Australia and New Zealand is a consultative council of the electoral commissioners from electoral authorities of the Commonwealth, States and Territories of Australia and New Zealand.
The Northern Territory Electoral Commissioner is a member of the ECANZ and attends their meetings held three times per year to discuss all aspects of electoral administration, encourage mutual cooperation, and consider contemporary electoral challenges aimed at improving access and equality for all eligible electors.
Learn more about ECANZ via the following link:
Affiliation with inter-jurisdiction elections
The office in Darwin provides voting services, on request, for interstate and New Zealand voters visiting the Northern Territory. This service is reciprocated and allows Territorians to vote if they are outside the Territory during Legislative Assembly elections.
Parliamentary Education Services (PES)
Partnership with the Department of Legislative Assembly Parliamentary Education Services unit
The joint program incorporates:
- a one hour tour of Parliament House. This includes time to watch parliament live from the gallery (on sitting day) or tour inside the Chamber (on a non-sitting day)
- a forty-five minute electoral education session tailored to your year group, including a mock election and vote count
- a short break in between.