The following Acts and Regulations are administered by the Commission:
Electoral Act 2004
The Electoral Act and Regulations under that Act, outline the legislative framework for:
- the conduct of elections for members of the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly;
- carrying out redistributions of electoral boundaries;
- the registration of political parties;
- the maintenance of a financial disclosure framework;
- matters relating to judicial appeals, electoral offences and the administration of the NT Electoral Commission.
Northern Territory (Self-Government) Act 1978
The Northern Territory (Self-Government) Act and the Northern Territory (Self-Government) Regulations outline the constitution and membership criteria for the Legislative Assembly.
Local Government Act 2008
Since May 2012, the NT Electoral Commission conducts all general NT Local Government (Council) elections. The procedures for conducting these elections are outlined in the following Act and Regulations.
Referendums Act 1998
The Referendums Act and Referendums Regulations, outline the legislative framework for the conduct of referenda approved by the Legislative Assembly.