2019 NT Electoral Boundary Redistribution
In accordance with Part 8, division 2, s138(2) of the Electoral Act 2004, the redistribution process must start and finish as soon as practicable two years and six months after election day for the previous general election. The last general election was held on Saturday, 27 August 2016; therefore, the redistribution for the 2020 general election commenced in February 2019. The boundaries of each division are reviewed and changed, if necessary, so that the number of electors in each division are as near to equal as practicable. Any changes become effective at the next general election in 2020.
In making its redistribution, the Redistribution Committee is bound by section 140 of the Electoral Act 2004 and section 13(4) of the Northern Territory (Self-Government) Act 1978. It is a fair, impartial and transparent process, free of political interference and with several opportunities for public participation. Any person or organisation has the opportunity to present suggestions, comments or objections to the committee.
The redistribution process is managed by the Redistribution Committee and consists of the following members:
- the Electoral Commissioner, Mr Iain Loganathan
- the Surveyor-General, Mr Rob Sarib
- the Auditor-General, Ms Julie Crisp
- the appointed member, Trevor Riley (Chair).
Draft boundaries released
The Redistribution Committee has undertaken a first proposed redistribution of the Northern Territory into divisions for the Legislative Assembly.
Redistribution guide updated 22/05/2019
- Division maps
- Division profiles
- Find my electoral division
- 2019 NT Electoral Boundary Redistribution
- Calculating the quota
- Enrolment statistics
- History - NT redistributions
- Maps and spatial data
- Media and newsletters
- Object, principles and matters to be considered in redistribution
- Submissions - How to lodge
- Submissions - Suggestions received
- Submissions - Comments on suggestions
- Submissions - Objections invited to first proposed redistribution