History of redistributions in the Northern Territory
A partly elected, partly nominated legislative council was established for the governance of the Northern Territory between 1947 and 1974. Five redistributions were carried out – the first in 1947 for 6 elected members, the second in 1959 when the number of elected members was increased to 8, 1962 when Aboriginals were given the vote, 1965 and lastly in 1968 when elected members increased to 11.
The first distribution into 19 electoral divisions for a wholly elected legislature for the Northern Territory was established by the Minister for the Territory in early 1974 and reported in September 1974. A redistribution in 1977 took account of population movements following Cyclone Tracy.
Following self-government in 1978, electoral terms were extended from 3 to a maximum of 4 years. Set-term elections every 4 years became effective in 2012.
Early distributions were carried out by a 3 person distribution committee, comprising the chief electoral officer, the surveyor-general and a person appointed by the administrator. Suggestions were submitted to the committee which released a proposed map, received objections and forwarded a report to the minister for tabling in, and the approval of, the legislature.
The following table shows all electoral boundary deliberations since 1974.
|Year||Number of divisions||Election when changes came into effect|
|1977||19||August 1977, June 1980|