Division of Katherine

History of name

The division was created following the 1986 redistribution and is named after the Katherine River. John McDouall Stuart named the river in 1862, after Katherine Chambers, the second daughter of a South Australian pastoralist, James Chambers, who supported his expedition.

Location

The division of Katherine for the most part follows the municipality borders of the Katherine Town Council, with the exception of the Tindal RAAF base and the outer Katherine suburb of Venn which are in the division of Arnhem.
Approx. area: 6,745 km²

Members

MemberAffiliationPeriod
S NelsonALP2016 - Present
W R Westra Van HoltheCLP2008 - 2016
C F MillerCLP2003 - 2008
M A ReedCLP1987 - 2003

Division of Katherine