Division of Nelson
History of name
The division was created following the 1990 redistribution. It is named after trade unionist Harold George (H G) Nelson who campaigned for the establishment of a Northern Territory based seat in Federal Parliament. In 1922 he successfully stood for the newly created seat as an Independent (though he joined the Labor party soon after) which he held until 1934. His son, John (Jock) Nelson, also served as a federal member for the Northern Territory, and later became the first Territory born NT Administrator (1973-1975).
The division of Nelson lies in the rural area immediately to the east of Darwin and Palmerston. The division includes the outer Darwin suburbs of Girraween, Herbert, Holtze, Howard Springs, Koolpinyah, Knuckey Lagoon, McMinns Lagoon, Murrumujuk, and Shoal Bay.
Approx. area: 1,415 km²
|G V Wood||IND||2001 - Present|
|C D Lugg||CLP||1997 - 2001|
|C N Padgham-Purich||IND||1990 - 1997|