Local government areas
In accordance with part 3.2 of the Local Government Act 2019, an independent local government representation committee will review local government boundaries not more than 10 months after election day for a general election.
The committee consists of:
- the Electoral Commissioner; and
- the Surveyor-General; and
- the CEO of the Local Government Association of the Northern Territory (LGANT)
- The chairperson of the committee is the CEO of LGANT.
The committee process involves consulting with the councils, conducting a review and making final determinations regarding any required changes.
The committee may determine:
- if a local government area is divided into wards:
- that the local government area remain divided into the same wards or be divided into different wards; or
- that the local government area should not be divided into wards; or
- if a local government area is not divided into wards:
- that the local government area remain that way; or
- that the local government area should be divided into wards.
When is the next review?
The committee will invite written submissions from all 17 councils and the public on Monday 28 March 2022.
Find out all you need to know about the 2022 Local Government Representation Reviews.