The following Acts and Regulations are administered by the Commission:
The Electoral Act and Regulations under that Act, outline the legislative framework for:
- the conduct of elections for members of the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly
- carrying out redistributions of electoral boundaries
- the registration of political parties
- the maintenance of a financial disclosure framework
- matters relating to judicial appeals, electoral offences and the administration of the NT Electoral Commission.
Northern Territory (Self-Government) Act 1978
The Northern Territory (Self-Government) Act 1978 and the Northern Territory (Self-Government) Regulations outline the constitution and membership criteria for the Legislative Assembly.
The Referendums Act and Referendums Regulations, outline the legislative framework for the conduct of referenda approved by the Legislative Assembly.
Local Government Act
Since May 2012, the NT Electoral Commission conducts all general NT Local Government (Council) elections. The procedures for conducting these elections are outlined in the following Act and Regulations.