Enrolment | NTEC


It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol for federal, state/territory and local government (council) elections.

To vote in federal, state/territory and local government (council) elections, you must be on the electoral roll for your current residential address. The electoral roll is a list of electors' names and addresses that is used to determine who can vote at elections.

The Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) maintains the electoral roll in the Northern Territory.

Eligibility for enrolment

You are eligible to enrol if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, or eligible British subject;
  • are aged 18 years and over; and
  • have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17 you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll receive full voting entitlement.

NOTE: The NTEC uses a joint roll with the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC). The roll is maintained by the AEC.

Enrol to vote or change your address

  • Enrol online
  • Print an enrolment form
  • Pick up an enrolment form at the NTEC office in Darwin, any regional council office or call us on 1800 698 683 and we will mail one out to you.

By clicking on the above links you will be redirected to the Australian Electoral Commission's website.

Return your hardcopy form by:

  • email to ntec@nt.gov.au
  • post to NT Electoral Commission, Reply paid 2419, Darwin NT 0801 (no stamp required if posted in Australia)

Going overseas

If you are going overseas for a short period of time and plan to return to your address in Australia you can advise the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) of your absence. If you are unsure whether you will be returning to Australia, you may request that your name be removed from the electoral roll.

More information on living and working overseas can be found on the AEC's website.

Special enrolment options

There are options for people with special needs or with specific circumstances that may affect their enrolment.